Monday, September 19, 2011

New York - Here We Come

The Moment We Have All Been Waiting For....

Has Finally Arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, you have been on the edge of your seats, prayerful at the Temple, fasting day and night and hoping to get rid of us Tylers. Well, it worked. We are headed to Rochester, New York in January for school!

Hallelujah! (I am hearing the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing the Hallelujah Chorus)

I know, some of you are sad. You enjoyed reading the countless blog posts about rejection, about waiting, about our never ending plight into the unknown. Some of you may even miss us when we are gone....

*Crickets * awkward silence *

And the rest of you are wondering Why Rochester??

Well, after more research, JT decided to change direction a little bit. He decided that he would like to become a Nurse Anesthetist. So rather than go to P.A. school we are headed to the University of Rochester for an accelerated Nursing Course. A year from now, JT will be a Registered Nurse working in an I.C.U. where he will gain the experience he needs to qualify to go to more school to become a Nurse Anesthetist. (Did any of you know I have a thing against the "th" sound? I don't know why, it just feels weird on my tongue- it almost stopped me from supporting him in this career change. Luckily I was able to put that behind me for the sake of a career.) Rochester not only has one of the best and very few accelerated nursing programs in the country but it is also very close to three schools that offer the Anesthetist program. It will take slightly longer to finish the schooling but I think it will be much more rewarding for him in the long run.

And now some of you are wondering how I am doing with all of this? Ok, most of you are busy cheering for JT, high fiving each other like you just won the Super Bowl, or already reading someone else's more interesting blog. But for anyone who wants to know...

I am freaking out!

My mind is flipping back and forth between the pros and cons so fast I can hardly see straight. I keep thinking of JT finally being accepted and how happy and relieved he is. Then I think of the long road we still have ahead. I think of Riley, Blake and Macie being in one of the Top Public School Districts in the Nation! And then I think of them leaving Miss Ashlee. I think of the new adventure and chance to get out of the Seattle Gloom. And then I think of all of the friends and family we are leaving behind. (that is by far the hardest one to swallow) I think of four different seasons and the beauty of upstate New York. And then I think of the snow. And more snow. And more snow.

The most amazing thing in all of this - is seeing how much the Lord's hand has been in it from the start. I think it will take some more reflection and a whole other post to get into that.

One Tender Mercy happened on Saturday after we heard the news. I was talking to my Mom on the phone about it and she was very excited. She said "Katie, this is so perfect for you." She is right. Growing up, I always wanted to live in New York. Usually I thought of living in the Big Apple, ice skating on Christmas at the Rockerfeller Center, singing and dancing off Broadway while waitressing to pay the bills, and eating pizza that I fold in half. But I remember a painting called Kindred Spirits by Asher Durand. I loved this painting in High School (which says a lot for a girl who tended to like mostly Modern Art) and I was very drawn to exploring this side of New York. One without glitz and glamour and taxis and lights. (I have to add that I also loved this for the title Kindred Spirits and the thought of these Best Friends- Poet and Artist in nature together... Sigh) Wow- this is turning into a boring Humanities lesson - back to the conversation with my Mom --- When my Mom told me that this was perfect for me- I found myself in Oregon. At OSU as an EFY Counselor. I was traveling with EFY all summer and my Mission Call had come. My mom forwarded it to me in Oregon so that I could read it. I was in a phone booth (which shows how old I am) all alone. Crying. I called my mom and told her I wasn't sure I wanted to go on a mission anymore and that I might not even open the letter to read it - but instead just send it back and say "I'm sorry." But my mom's answer was "Katie, I read your Mission Call" (yes, go ahead and gasp, she opened it and read it and then resealed it to mail to me at OSU!) "And in ALL the World, this is where My Katie belongs." When she said that I was filled with peace and I knew that it was right. I opened the envelope to find I had been called to the Madagascar, Antananarivo Mission and it changed my life. I can't help but feel that all over again.

Something about Rochester just feels right.

I don't know what it is. I don't know why. But it just feels right. Yes, I am scared. I am not a fan of snow. I rely a lot on my Family and Friends here in Washington. I love my ward, my neighbors, my life here. But I know that this is right for our family and especially for JT.

I am excited for an adventure. I am excited to finally be on the path and moving forward. I am excited for the unknown. I can' t believe it is finally happening! I almost forgot what it is like to know what you will be doing 6 months from now. To be able to plan ahead! And I know this adventure will change our lives.

What this means for all of you? (that's right, everyone wants to know what this has to do with them) I will be spending the next three months having Girls' Nights, Play Dates, Dates with My Man (since we won't have family or babysitters in NY), Parties, Family Dinners, More Girls' Nights and probably some serious tears----

Consider Yourselves Invited :)

10 comments:

  1. You do realize now that it was all about Antoinette, right? And JT making an even better decision for career path...and of course, the lessons you learned while waiting for those two things. SO EXCITED for you! SO SAD you're moving! SO THRILLED for what you will add in Rochester! I am SO GLAD things worked out in such a perfect way with such perfect timing. CONGRATULATIONS to all of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M SO EXCITED!!! Yay, and so happy for you guys. I'm just so thrilled! It'll be awesome in Rochester. Wow, that's just so great!

    Of course I will miss you like crazy and the girls will be devastated to find out Riley's moving. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a relief! And how exciting! Good luck with the snow. Nurses rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Arabaina! I am so excited for you. I have been praying for your big break and know ours will be just around the corner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!!! New York is the BEST! Go shopping. A lot. ;) I'm SO SO SO happy for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!! Great news - I am happy for you. And it's SO NANCY that she opened your mission call. I love that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's great news! And sad, but mostly GREAT! I'm so glad all the waiting and wondering and hoping and being disappointed is over. What a relief that must be for both of you! Of course, we'll miss you, but I'm a little jealous you'll be in New York. That's so incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wicked. Awesome.

    <fist bump /><hand explosion />

    Exciting times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited for you guys Katie. Welcome to your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited for you guys! I can totally relate to all of the feelings you shared in this post. New York is lucky to have the Tyler family!

    ReplyDelete