Wednesday, January 15, 2014

What does Mom DO all day??

Thankfully, I have never had anyone ask me, as a Stay at Home Mom, what I do.  I have seen comments on Facebook and various blogs asking that question. "As a stay at home mom, what do you DO all day??"  The few times that I have seen it from an arrogant, condescending, "I can work a 40 hour week, then come home and do your job on top of that.", snotty attitude.  I have been pretty irate. Thank you all for never being that rude to me (for your own safety).  But even with out the "you just sit and watch soap operas all day" stereotype, I think that some people legitimately don't know what it is we do all day.  And that is because each of us Stay at Home Moms does it differently.  I considered sharing my normal "work" day with all of you.  But realized that writing out "continually doing everything I can to teach, love, support, and inspire 3 children without going insane, or crying in a closet." doesn't really do it justice.  (Maybe someday I will write that post.)

For now, I would like to share with you what my son, Blake, thinks I do all day.

This morning, as we were gathered (in a reverent, angelic manner) to have family prayer (read: someone inevitably crying, someone sneaking bites of cereal with one eye open, and me trying to remember to brush someone's hair before the bus comes) it was Blake's turn to pray.  He sweetly gave thanks for our family and then proceeded to ask Heavenly Father for the blessings we need today:

"Please bless Daddy to have a good day at school...

"Please bless me and Riley to have a good day at school...

"Please bless Macie to have a good day at Preschool...

"Please bless Mommy to....

This is where I stopped thinking about where I saw the brush last and listened intently to see what Blake thought I would be doing today.  It was clear that the entire rest of the family would be at school. So what is it that my 5 year old son thinks I do all day??

"...uh... to do good in her class at the gym..."

So there you have it.  While my husband needs blessings to study hard and get through his final year of PA school, and Riley and Blake to enjoy their schooling, and Macie to be have fun at Miss Ashlee's (how hard can it be?), I am blessed to kick some butt in my spin class at the gym. :)

And that is just what I did.


But here are a few pics for the snotty attitudes ;)


Teaching Blake to make Pie Crust

Raising them to get recognized at school for outstanding behavior.
Throwing awesome Birthday Parties (that I forgot to Blog about)

Teaching them to ride a bike.

Ok, ok, I guess I do a little bit more than work out at the gym :)

2 comments:

  1. That's cute! When I was little, (kindergarten/1st grade), I told the school nurse that my mom stayed home and ate bon bons all day. :) If only...

    I've actually been thinking a lot about this. I have opinions, but in the interest of not offending from the other end of the spectrum, I'll keep them to myself until I see you in person--and we remember to talk about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute Cute! I loved being a stay at home mom, and I KNOW it is a lot of work all the time. Sure there's are some nice bonuses to it too, but even the bonuses are a lot of work. Like, even being able to give them experiences in the world and taking the places, like the Science Center or the Zoo. That can be exhausting in the end, yet, rewarding, and also times to teach them life skills. Like how to behave in public so when the go places they can act like human beings and not just crazy, get their way kids. Now I'm a "work during the school day" mom and am exhausted too. It is hard on the working moms too and I would never be negative to them. You're an amazing, hard working mom Katie and I think you're great!

    ReplyDelete