Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Creepy


(mom, and anyone else who can't read the fine print,  you may need to click on the diagram to see the titles of each picture :)

Ok, I have seen this diagram floating around facebook for the last few weeks- as I am sure many of you have.  We all have our "favorites" (of course that is in "quotes" because, Really? Whose favorite is the "snow angel"?? getting hammered in the back by your almost two year old is lame) and for some of us- this hits a little too close to home.  

Remember when we were newly weds and we said our bed has two purposes only, and neither of those purposes is to be a place for children to sleep??  Those days are long gone.  

Let's be honest.  Sometimes I don't mind.  On the nights when JT is not home- it is really comforting to snuggle one of my babies in bed.  (I like how I call them Babies- when the oldest will be six this year and the youngest turns two in a few weeks! I have issues with increments of time- including age) And when I asked our beloved no- non-sense Pediatrician what to do to get them out of my bed (when the  "H is for Hell" position started to really reek havoc on my back) his response was "Why kick them out of bed?  Soon enough they will not want to snuggle you anymore and  you will miss these days" :)  

So here I am, blogging about being stranded under "The Neck Scarf" and wondering if my Pediatrician is mentally insane. (just kidding, I still agree with him)

The thing that made this picture stand out to me- is knowing that Blake may actually be scarred by one of these positions...

A few weeks ago, on the way home from an exciting family adventure to the Zoo, Blake started to reminisce.  As he began the sentence I thought it would be about the Leopard we saw or the blue frogs or holding my hand...

Blake:  "Hey, Mommy, remember the time...
(here is where I smile thinking this is going to be a memorable day for him)
...the other night in bed when you woke up and called me CREEPY?!"

He is referring to a few nights before when he had crept into bed with us.  Sometimes he sneaks in under my arms and lays with me.  Sometimes he stands by the side of my bed poking my forehead until I wake up.  But this time- he climbed in and sat up against the wall above my pillow.  (you know where your Headboard would be if you had one, which we don't , which we will... someday... when we graduate from P.A. school and buy grown up things like a ladder to hang Christmas Lights and a Real Bed with a Headboard!... someday...) Blake sat above me- literally "the Stalker".  When I rolled over and saw him staring down at me- I couldn't help but burst out "CREEPY!!" 

So now, when Blake is looking back on his childhood he will "Remember the time his Mom called him Creepy."

should I just sign him up for therapy now? poor kid.

5 comments:

  1. This makes me smile. :) I'm sure he won't need therapy. As you can tell, he speaks of it like a fond memory. :)

    Also, I am SO glad I'm not the only 30-something without a headboard! I thought I was the only one! You seriously made my day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooooove that diagram. I'm pretty sure my kids have mastered all of those positions at one point or another (even though I rarely let them in my bed...) -- "Neck Scarf" being the most prominent in my mind right now.

    And not to derail the hilarious point of this blog post, but I, too, feel better knowing that I am not the only one w/o a headboard. (Or even a bedframe, actually. What's wrong with putting the box springs right on the floor?) Someday... Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA HA! I haven't seen this, but I love it! Being a very light sleeper I am not very tolerant of children in my bed with me so we have an imaginary line down the middle of the bed. If he lets them in bed Peter has to share his side and I get mine all to myself. :) By the way, don't feel bad, the only reason we have a headboard is because we traded our box spring for my mother-in-law's entire Ikea bed (doesn't require a box spring and she bought a new bed that does). Oh, and another by the way, if you feel bad about calling him creepy, check out my post from a couple years back and you'll feel like a much nicer mom than me. :) http://peterstephanieandkids.blogspot.com/2010/01/dreams.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed so hard at your post!! Your house sounds like a dangerous place to fall asleep! (my favorite is the simultaneous slap and apology!)

      Delete