The instructor is crazy intelligent. Not just about Cycling (although he has done wonders to improve my form) but about all sorts of random stuff.
Here is what I learned:
- My New SportsBra is A-MAZ-ING! NO MOVEMENT, totally comfortable, I didn't know Sping could feel so wonderful!
- I need a SportsBra for my saggy arms to keep them from flopping around
- To IMPROVE my 72 hr kit
(now this is where I started to learn- some of this is new, so of it is forgotten, all of it felt important)
72 HOUR KIT
- KEEP it IN THE CAR, I don't know why I haven't been doing that already
- EXTRA CLOTHES if you have seen this guy you KNOW he isn't concerned about fashion, he was saying how if you are INDOORS during an EARTHQUAKE or other disaster the first thing that will happen is the SPRINKLER SYSTEM will go off! This is going to leave you soaking wet when you do finally leave. Or if you are caught in FLOODING you will get hypothermic quickly if you have to remain in your clothes for 72 hours.
- TRAPPED CLOSE TO HOME even if you are thinking that you are usually only 10 minutes from home and can get back there to get your supplies- that may all change with a Natural Disaster. Power Lines down on the road, broken roads, flooding, fire, all of the things that will come after the disaster. You maybe 10 minutes away and trapped.
- FIRST AID KIT recently one of JT's co-workers (a doctor in the ER) gave him a lecture for not having stronger pain meds on hand for an emergency. If someone you love is seriously injured in an accident and the ambulance or fire department is unable to reach you for a period of time- you need to be able to help the suffering until then with the appropriate first aid. He told JT that as a member of Our Church who feels so strongly about Preparedness he should already be doing this. This also goes for daily perscriptions. A few months ago when I came off of the Post Partum Happy Pill I had SEVERE side affects. That was weening down. If I was in a disaster and I was dealing with that cold turkey it would have been far worse. (not to mention for some people life threatening)
- OUT OF STATE CONTACT local communication will be very difficult. Have an out of state contact that all of your family can call, or email, or facebook so that everyone will be accounted for.
- WATER WATER WATER enough said
- DUCT TAPE he didn't say WHY you need this... but my mind thought of a million things I could do in a disaster with a roll of this Magicall Stuff!
- FLASHLIGHTS a few years ago someone in the Ward suggested having one in each bathroom so you can find it in a Power Outage easily! I LOVED this idea! But it is also important in your cars or 72 hr kit.
The other thing the Instructor talked about is WHY WASHINGTON is such a BAD TARGET for an EARTHQUAKE. Besides the convergience of two plates right off of the Strait of Juan de Fuca that could cause major Tsunami problems for the Puget Sound, he also pointed out how areas that are NEAR SEA LEVEL are like being on a River Bed. He used all of the Fancy Geographical words and terms for the type of SOIL that creates in our Valleys. He explained how this soil easily goes from firm to MUD with minor disruption and how easily it floods (evident by seeing all of the flooded pastures every fall) He pointed out that the bigger problem than flooding is SINKING! When the soil is shaken vigorously it will soften so much that things will sink. And as the Valley Sinks the MudSlides will also occur. ( I wish I could explain this as scientifically as he did) It made me think of the Destruction in 3rd Nephi and how I always wondered how entire cities were sunk and swallowed up in the land... now I know!
ANYWAYS--- He said ALOT more. To go to RED CROSS for a CHECKLIST. To get your plans in order. By this point I was so distracted by my fears and concerns I didn't notice all the PAIN I was in from Spinning!!
This led to an EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS FHE. Where JT walked me through turning EVERYTHING OFF in our house if a Disaster Occurs. Where we TRAINED the kids to go to a Doorway or Under a Table if the Ground Shakes. The review of Stop Drop and Roll. And finally ending the Evening by making Chex Muddy Buddies- and letting the kids SHAKE them up in the Bag and calling them EARTHQUAKE COOKIES! lol!
If you have any other great suggestions that the Spin Instructor left out- pass it on!
My heart goes out to the people in Japan. It seems so close to home this time. And it makes me want to get all of us ready just in case.